Home Page


WWII Era ('40s)
Korean Era ('50s)
Vietnam Era ('60s)
General Officers


OCS Association
OCS Notices
OCS Newsletter
Army News
Reunion Info
Other Links


Chief Locator
Web Submissions


Veterans' Salutes
Freedom Park
Brief Histories
Scrap Book
Chat Rooms
Charity Efforts



Classmate Maxie Holt, Ltc. (R) Class 02-67

-  A Brief Bio, As Of February 2009  -

Click any picture to see full size image.

Ltc. (R) Maxie HoltI was born on January 11, 1946, in a little farm house in the middle of a wheat field, about 5 miles from Oklaunion, Texas, which is about 50 miles west of Wichita Falls, Texas. I am child number 8, out of 10 Holt Kids…7 boys and 3 girls. Dad was a farmer and when I was 4 he bought Grandpa Robert’s farm in the northeast corner of Texas, along the Red River, near Clarksville, Texas. All of us lived in that 3 bedroom farm house; for the first 2 years there was no indoor plumbing or facilities (just a 3-holer outhouse), no electricity, and only a wood stove for both cooking and heating. In 1953 we finally got electricity, and a gas pipe run to the house. This enabled dad to install an electric pump on the well, and put plumbing in the house…WITH facilities. We had a celebration that day; everyone pushed the outhouse off the hill and into the creek. In 1955 we even got a Party-Line Telephone AND a black & white TV!

In 1956, after a couple of bad years on the farm, we moved back to Oklaunion, where my dad started Holt Construction Company, building and remodeling houses. An Air Force Housing contract moved us to Wichita Falls, Texas, for a year. The next year we moved to Dallas, Texas, where I attended High School and met my wife-to-be, Sandy Sims. We started dating when she was 14 and I was 15. During the last 2 years of High School I worked at Red Bird Airport, near Dallas, and started flying lessons. I got my Student Pilot’s License at 17.

After graduation I attend one year of college, but couldn’t afford to take enough hours to be exempt from the Draft. We had wedding plans, and I didn’t want to leave the area, so I joined the Army in August, 1965, because they promised me an assignment in the Dallas area. After Basic Training at Fort Polk, Louisiana, Sandy and I got married (October 21, 1965), and I was assigned as a Private E2 in the Fire Control of the 67th Air Defense Artillery Battalion, in Alvarado, Texas, about an hour south of Dallas. 

The duty was awful! There were only 8 of us on the KP Roster and when I made PFC I also went on the Guard Roster!  We were a nuclear unit, so I was also put on the Red Phone Hot Line Roster! Needless to say, I was always on some DUTY and rarely ever SAW the computer console I was supposed to man. I went to the Commander to get out of the unit and was told I had to either volunteer for Vietnam, or apply for OCS. I applied for OCS, but before he would approve it I had to request Artillery as my first choice. I put Signal 2nd and got my 2nd choice!   

I arrived at Fort Gordon in June, 1966, for OCS Class 02-67… along with a bunch of other scared privates, and a bunch of seasoned NCOs who were sure they knew-it-all. Most of the senior NCOs washed out as I recall! 

OCS turned out to be one of those defining events of my life. During those 6 months I learned more about myself than ever before. I formed closer friendships than I ever thought possible. I gained a better understanding of our country and what freedom was about. I learned leadership, camaraderie, focus and personal excellence. I graduated in January, 1967, as a Second Lieutenant. While in OCS I applied for and was accepted into Flight School but had to wait 3 months for my class. I stayed at Gordon as a Radio Repair Training Company XO until my class date.

I attended Fixed Wing Flight School at Fort Stewart, Georgia, for 4 months, for the Basic Flight portion. Interesting event: while flying a T-41 on my first Solo Cross-Country flight I had an engine failure; a crankcase bolt broke, allowing the engine to vibrate, and interrupting the fuel flow. With oil covering the windshield I landed dead-stick at an old abandoned air strip in Statesboro, Georgia; a fun day!

The Advanced portion of my flight school was at Fort Rucker, Alabama, where we flew the O-1 Bird Dog for Tactics, and the T-42 Twin Engine for Instruments. I graduated 1st in the class, so they allowed me to stay another month and transition into the U-21 Turboprop Twin Engine aircraft. I was assigned to the Command Airplane Company, 210th CAB at Long Thanh, Vietnam, about 20 miles east of Saigon. We flew Combat Support missions throughout the entire country; and I flew 2 missions on the ocean route around Cambodia to Thailand. We carried mostly VIP-level passengers, and sometimes a little cargo. I got promoted to Captain and was in Vietnam from April '68 to April '69.

My next tour was in Germany, as the Communication Officer for the 72nd Field Artillery, for a year, and then as Aviation Officer. We had OH-13 Helicopters, U-6 Beavers, and some 1951 Model Bird Dogs!! Quite a change from U-21s!  After 2 years I was reassigned to Vietnam, with Rotary Wing Flight Transition enroute. Another interesting event: my first night instrument takeoff in a UH-1… we had a hydraulic system failure… just as the skids got light on the pad. After a little tap dancing the instructor helped me push the Collective Pitch back down so we could shut it down on the pad!

I was assigned to the 13th CAV HQ in Can Tho, Vietnam, in October, 1971. My primary job was Squadron Communication Officer, and as a C&C Pilot with the Commander, plus various Administrative Pilot duties. The Army had started standing-down units in preparation for phasing out of 'Nam so the 13th was ordered to pack-it-up 5 months and 29 days after I got there…ONE DAY short of what I needed to stand-down with them!! 

I was reassigned as the Delta Communication Officer at the HQ of the 164th Aviation Group, there in Cam Tho. I flew mostly admin flights after that. 

I knew things were winding down in September '72 when I was on a flight to Ben Hoa and got arrested by the MPs. The UH-1 broke down on the pad there, and since I had Crypto for the 164th I decided to hop a bus to Saigon and catch a chopper, at the Hotel 3 Heliport, back to Can Tho. The bus stopped at the gate leaving Ben Hoa, and the MPs got on, checking everybody’s papers! Seems they had instituted a policy that all who were traveling in-country had to have travel orders that listed where they were going, type of weapons in their possession, AND the number or rounds of ammo carried! 

He then asked for my Installation ID. All the facilities in-country were supposed to issue special ID Cards showing where they were stationed! I had neither, so he said I would have to accompany him to the station to be PROCESSED. When I got up to go he saw my 38 Pistol which was on my belt under the flap of my 2-piece Nomex flight suit. He declared it to be a concealed weapon, and said it was suppose to be on the orders along with the ammo I was carrying! I was ticked-off by now and asked, “What happens if I get attacked and shoot some of my rounds at the enemy?” He said, “Well, you wouldn’t have the correct number of rounds on your orders!!” I knew then we were wasting our time in Vietnam! 

They took me to the station and I finally got bailed out by the 1st Signal Brigade folks,and was allowed to go back to Can Tho!

After 'Nam I went to the Advanced Course at Gordon, and then to the 9th Division at Fort Lewis, Washington. After assignments with the 13th Artillery Battalion, then as ‘B’ Company Commander of the Div Sig BN, and as Communication Officer of the CAV SQ, I was released for a year for Degree Completion, at St Martin’s College in Olympia, Washington. 

After that, I ended up back in Germany for a second tour, as Aviation Officer and Training Officer of the 7th Signal Brigade, for 3 years. I got promoted to Major while there. I was also selected to attend the Navy’s Armed Forces Staff College in Norfolk, Virginia, and spent 6 months there. From there I was assigned as a Communications Officer on the Bravo Battle Staff Team for the Admiral of the Atlantic Fleet, flying onboard the CINCLANT Airborne Command Post, Langley Air Force Base, Virginia. These were EC-135s (Boeing 707s), chocked full of computers and communications equipment. I had an ELF antenna coiled in the belly that could be let out 28,000 feet behind the aircraft! Now that is an extremely low frequency!!  It was a high-profile job since we were the back-up the NECAP… the President’s Airborne Command Post. One day, a few months before I was reassigned, my commander surprised me at 30,000 feet by calling attention and reading my Lieutenant Colonel promotion orders!

My next assignment was as the Director of Information Management at Fort Campbell, Kentucky…. home of the 101st Airborne. I was there for 4 years, and retired after a 22 year career, on September 1, 1987. I was awarded all of the normal awards a clean-nosed Vietnam vet got. I was also awarded an MSM, 10 Air medals, and attained Senior Aviator Wings.

After retirement I owned a home remodeling company for awhile, but longed for Texas, so we moved home in 1990. I dabbled in home building and insurance, but working with people had been my passion. Throughout my career, at every station, my wife and I had been active in a local church, and had led many teenage youth groups. So, in 1992, I agreed to become Minister of Youth and Music for a church in Copperas Cove, Texas. In January, 1994, I agreed to go back to Clarksville, Tennessee, to become Minister with Singles and College at a large church.

I was there until June 2007. I retired from church staff, moved to Martin, Tennessee, with the grandkids, and became a free-lance speaker and author. One book has been published, “Every Single Day,” a devotional book for singles, and another book & board game are currently under consideration for publication. Sandy has now gone through 18 months of Thyroid Cancer surgery, both treatments and scans, and finally got an ALL CLEAR in the fall of 2008. We have been married for 43 years.

 Ltc. (R) Max HoltLtc. (R) Max HoltLtc. (R) Max Holt

Classmates Holt and Polis, from class 02-67Ltc. (R) Holt and Mrs. Holt

To see more pictures of Ltc. (R) Holt, visit his OCS class page.

Above content posted 26 February 2009. 

Top of Page



Original Site Design and Construction By John Hart, class 07-66. Ongoing site design and maintenance by WebSpecks Incorporated, courtesy Class 09-67.
Content and design Copyright 1998 - 2009, by WebSpecks, Incorporated. This page originally posted 26 February, 2009.